What is mediation?
If you are divorcing or separating, mediation helps you to decide on practical and workable arrangements for your children and/or finances. Matters such as where everyone will live, how children will spend time with each parent, day-to-day financial arrangements and division of assets can be dealt with.
Mediation is a guided negotiation which focuses on meeting needs, affordability and achieving an agreed settlement which is acceptable to both of you.
The benefits of mediation
- Mediation provides a safe and supportive environment in which to negotiate with your ex-partner.
- The focus is on moving forward and reaching agreements which enable everyone to get on with their lives.
- You remain in control of the decisions.
- If you have children, mediation helps to establish a sound basis for separated co-parenting.
- Quicker than going through the courts and avoids costly legal battles.
- Private and confidential.